Thursday, May 04, 2006

Look Out For Internet Scam Artists!!!

As many of you know, we are trying to sell our 2004 Hyundai Sonata. So far, we have had a few people express interest and ask questions, but at present we still own it. This weekend, the most promising potential buyers yet are coming to check it out, we hope.

This last week, I had an interesting email exchange with another potential buyers that I thought I would share with you all. This guy was so slick I almost fell for it! :-)

Original Email:

Name: Mr john
E-mail Address: ljsnoop2@yahoo.co.uk
Phone Number: 2348052624951
Best Time to Contact: Afternoon

Message:Attn,your vehicle meets with the specifications of a client werepresent,but with a bid of $13,000 so if that is agreeable by you thennotify meif there is any mechanical defaults whatsoever,so that we cantransact.thanks

My Reply:

Mr. John,

The Sonata is still for sale. There are no mechanical problems with the car, it is very clean and it has been very well maintained. We are asking $13,500 at this point, but are willing to consider other offers. We live in Silverdale, WA. Would you like to see the car? Please reply or give me a call at (360) 447-0799.

Tyler

His Reply:

Attn ,
Thanks for the email, I have forwarded your vehicle information to my client and after evaluation and due to time constraint on the fact that we are running short of time , i am delighted to tell you that my client has commended your vehicle and he has instructed me to carry on with this transaction, he also instructed me to inform you that payment will get to you in a cashier check of $25,500, which is a refund payment of a cancelled order earlier made by my client. Due to company policy this check has to be made out in this amount to you, because company policy only allows a refund payment on one cashier cheque. So you are required to deduct the cost of your vehicle $13,500 when payment gets to you and refund balance $12,000 to the shipper for him to be able to offset shipping & tax charges, and other cosmetic repair costs. After payment has reached you and balance sent to shipper, the shipper's agent will come for inspection, pick up (of vehicle & signing of title
papers), make some cosmetic touches and drive to a prepaid shipper to be shipped to my customer. Confirm this and forward your Names, Address and Phone number for payment to be made to you as soon as possible. Your honesty, understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated. Have a wonderful day.
Best regards

My Reply:

I have forwarded your email to the FBI Internet Fraud Division. Have fun with them!

His Reply:

Mr i think you are alright,this is a business an why do you hav to bring in FBI SO YOU THINK AM A SCAMMER,ANYWAY IS NOT YOUR FAULT IT'IS ME WHO SHOW INTEREST IN BUYING YOUR CAR OK.IF YOU STILL WANT TO SELL YOU CAN CONTACT ME.BYE


I wanted to write back to him with this email: "Oh, yeah, and your English sucks!" but my wife wouldn't let me because it was too rude. She's probably right. Anyway, be careful out there, everyone is looking to rip you off!

String Fellow Hawk

7 comments:

Tankfos said...

You should of taken the money and run.

AD

Mark said...

That's funny stuff. I wonder if anybody has ever actually falling for that . . .

Did you hear back from the FBI?

Tyler said...

I didn't actually forward it to the FBI, I'm not sure there actually is an FBI fraud division.

I feel kind of bad though, after receiving his response I started to think that maybe he was legit...

Psyche!

Elizabeth said...

Hang in there. A good buyer will is probably right around the corner... At least that's what I keep telling myself about our house.

Wendi said...

These scams are VERY real, and a lot of people have been taken in by them -- I'm very glad Ty wasn't!

http://www.fraud.org/tips
/internet/fakecheck.htm

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud
/cashier.asp

Matthew said...

Mr. Tyler,

I am former Head of finance Western Divison Ouagodugu province Namibia. In strictest confidnece your name was given me as evidence of your fine and moral character, and we believe you can be trusted with this transacton

I've come into late possession of $2 million sum USD that was related to first primeminister's term. To ensure safe transit of said sum overseas my colleagues have intrusted me.

For use of your personal account for transfer we remit $100k as soon as said transfer is completed. I must proclaim this is matter of strictest secrecy and villany. I assure discretion. details upon please reply ASAP

(i made it up myself :-)
M@TT

Mark said...

Matt's comment bears the fingerprints of a brilliant internet scam artist in the making. The poor spelling and awkward grammar, the foreign origins and the promise of something for nothing. I almost fell for it myself! Forget accounting, Matt. Your real pot of gold is right here on the internet . . . :)