Wednesday, May 16, 2007

The Needo for Speedo

As many of you know, my lovely wife and I will soon be competing in a grueling "sprint" triathlon. That is sort of an inappropriate name in my view because there will certainly not be much sprinting going on during the race. Just so you know what we are up against it goes like this: 1/4 mile swim, 15 mile bike, 3 mile run. Easy enough, right?

As part of our training efforts we have found ourselves in a pool, trying to propel our bodies forward through the water, endlessly pushing against the relentless pull of aerodynamic drag (in the water). As a man, society has forced me to wear a "baggy" swimming suit to conform to a standard of modern-day hipness (i.e. it is disgusting for men to show their legs above the knee, apparently).

Well, speaking of aerodynamic drag and men's swimming suits, I was experiencing a lot of it, but it just felt normal to me. I have lived with it my whole life. Well, all of my life except for a few years when I was on the swim team, but those memories are dim to me now...

As we have been gearing up for the triathlon, I was trying to get ready for the idea of wearing a speedo (brief style) for the race. I just couldn't get excited about it. I pictured myself as Ben Stiller in "Meet the Parents", timidly approaching the starting line, unable to relax because I would basically be out in public in essentially "nothing but my skivvies."

Basically, I knew nothing about the incredible array of men's swimming products Speedo manufactures. I knew nothing of the concept of the "jammer."

As you have probably guessed, I purchased a jammer for myself. Dana and I also both purchased $2 swim caps. I am now confident in my swim attire. I am lightning fast.

Last week was the first time we went swimming with my new suit. It was like a new door had been opened. It was like a heavy load had been lifted. I felt my body slicing through the water at incredible speeds that until recently had been unattainable. In engineering terms, I had significantly reduced my drag coefficient. In triathlon terms, I was flying through the water!

Drag in the study of fluid flow is one of those things that lives completely up to it's name: it is nothing but a drain on the system; a severe hit to efficient use of your body's precious energy resources. While you can never eliminate drag completely, these days legions of engineers and scientists devote tremendous amounts of time, money and effort to eke out incremental reductions in drag for everything from swimming attire to automobiles to bridge supports.

Whoever designed my "jammer" did a heck of a job!

14 comments:

Wendi said...

The "jammer" is a far superior option than the aforementioned brief-style speedo (or the unmentioned bikini-style -- yikes!). Thanks for cluing me as to the proper terminology for this type of suit!

It's true that the institution of the speedo bathing suit for men gets a lot of grief and raised eyebrows (or averted eyes) at least outside of competitive swimming circles. However, I think that the true blame for this situation ought to be squarely placed upon those men whom have elected to wear the suits without regard to:

1). whether the situation really calls for it (e.g., competitive swimming), or

2). whether the suit provides, um, sufficient coverage for their body type.

For the sake of propriety I won't post any example images, but anyone who may be curious can do a Google image search for "Borat bathing suit" to get the idea. ;-)

Best of luck to both you and Dana in the triathalon!

Danalin said...

And I must say that my husband looks mighty fine in his jammer! He opted for one with a little bit of "interest" on the sides - some lime green design - as opposed to plain black. Great choice, Ty! You'll wow them at the starting line!

Tankfos said...

Oh my!!!!!!

Mark said...

It take a real man to wear a Speedo in public. That's why I wore one today while mowing my lawn.

Can you blame me? It was hot! (Lots of little stinging pebbles on the shins, however. Not to mention many passers-by a-gawkin'.)

I think you made a good choice with your jammer. But why not the whole body suit, a la the Thorpedo? Maybe then you could swim even as he . . .

Goose said...

Is the jammer the same thing that I wear when I run. We call them half tights. I love them.

Dad said...

I gotta get me some of those Jammers. I have definitely outgrown my Speedos!!

Actually the visual on the Speedo thing is a bit much for any of you or even me to handle.

I might stick wtih the baggy suit as I am not built for speed.

Anyway, you will be more comfortable in your upcoming event and even if you don't do as well as you would like, you will look terrific and that is what is important.

Dad

Matthew said...

Some Fosters may remember a time several years ago when I was enthusiastic about working out and staying in shape. I worked out religiously, rode my bike dozens of miles per week and was in the best shape of my life.

As a part of this routine, I discovered that I really enjoyed swimming and would usually make an effort to swim a mile or so (42 laps) at the Washington Park pool in Denver at least two times per week.

I quickly realized that for distance swimming, them baggy shorts just didn't cut it, for all the reasons Ty mentioned, but also that the idea wearing the Speedo briefs was anathema to me -- for all the reasons Ty mentioned.

So when I found a pair of jammers on sale at Gart's for $30, I decided to take the plunge (no pun intended), and I was an instant convert. I slipped through the water like an eel, drag was reduced by a factor of 5 and the trunks gave me several years of swimming pleasure. Plus, I looked GOOD in them ;-)

Until the time I wore them on the beach at Assateague Island in Maryland. Let's just say those kind of trunks become... um, threadbare... VERY quickly when exposed to the pounding surf and sand of a wild beach. I leave the imagery to your imaginations.

Sadly, I am no longer in the kind of physical fitness in which I would feel comfortable wearing such body-hugging gear. Career, school and just plain old laziness eroded my desire to keep up my routine with the same enthusiasm.

The new apartment to which Wendi and I are moving next month has a well-stocked fitness center, so I intend to at least attempt to regain my former strength.

I'm impressed that you guys are planning to compete. More power to ya!

Goose said...

Matt I never knew you wore jammers. Why did you never tell me? I have never, at any point of my life, enjoyed swimming, but I will now always wear a nice pair of jammers. All I know is that they better be cheaper than 30 bucks. I'm talking more like 5.

Rappster said...

hmmmm,

Sounds like a lot of scientific mumbo-jumbo to me. Face it, Jammers are speedos. They just have a little extra upper leg coverage. Notably, the extra coverage is in the irrelevant upper-knee area. Things are still tight where they shouldn't be.

Please, as a concerned citizen I beg you. Go with the high-drag solution.

Goose said...

Ty don't worry about Rappster. He/she obviously doesn't understand the need of the jammer. Jammers for life.

Rappster said...

Who are gonna believe? A man or a goose?

the goose has got a screw loose. (and it rhymes, so it's true).

Mom the Bomb said...

Ty...you're great' Love, Mom the bomb

Anonymous said...

I do not understand the aversion to the male form. Our society "accepts" women wearing swimming briefs that are next to their skin. Why can not men also wear swimming briefs next to their skin? Women have bulges too!

Anonymous said...

Webcam Erotikchat

xxx sex games

Amateur Dominas